Children battling JM need better treatments and a cure.
Children battling JM often have weekly hospital treatments... for years... many never reach remission.
JM is a rare disease which limits treatment options and makes diagnosis difficult. Progress against these conditions is slow because there aren't enough people participating in studies, and there are even fewer researchers available to run the studies.
This creates challenges: lags in diagnosis, gaps in care, limited choice in treatments.
BUT, I’m here to remind us that challenges birth opportunities.
We are living in times of significant scientific advancement. The field of genetic research alone holds great promise for the lives of people in our community. We need to harness new technology for the benefit of those living with JM.
And that’s where you come in.
Our research support is almost entirely funded by individual donations and generous sponsors for our Walk Strong to Cure JM® family fun events and fundraisers.
Our programs depend on your generosity. Without it, we’ll lose the ability to:
- Fund research at 20 major institutions
- Invest in the identification and understanding of the genes that contribute to JM
- Invest in identifying which patients respond to repurposed drugs, such as Rituximab, and which don't. As some of these drugs take some time before their effect is fully realized predicting a response PRIOR to treatment is a critical endeavor.
- Steroids tend to be a first-line therapy and have a variety of effects dependent on route of administration and have a variety of undesirable side effects. We are actively funding a program to bring a cutting-edge steroid to our patients that has increased activity and dramatically fewer side effects. Funding this to the clinic to trial in JDM patients has the potential in the very short term to make a dramatic effect in patients’ lives.
- Identify and support the “best and the brightest” of the next generation of doctors and researchers entering the JM field
I urge everyone reading this to take action. Make sure that we can fund these crucial programs. YOUR sponsorship can change the life of Children in your community.
Juvenile Myositis (JM), including Juvenile Dermatomyositis (JDM) and Juvenile Polymyositis(JPM), is a group of rare and life-threatening autoimmune diseases, in which the body's immune system attacks its own cells and tissues.
Since its inception, Cure JM has invested more money into Juvenile Myositis research and programs than any other charitable organization.
Cure JM Foundation believes in effectively stewarding every dollar and over 90% of all funds raised since Cure JM’s inception has gone directly to research and educational programs. Cure JM is also proud to have been a “Top Rated” nonprofit by Great Nonprofits each year since 2011. Additionally, in 2015, Cure JM received the Independent Charities “Best in America” Seal of Excellence that is only given to 0.2% of over 1 million nonprofits in the U.S. This seal is awarded on an annual basis to charities that meet the highest standards of public accountability, program effectiveness, and cost effectiveness.
Learn more at: www.CureJM.Org