About the event
A Beyond the Horizon Conference, presenting:
"Breaking the ISIS Brand Counter Narrative Project – Addressing the Challenges of Radicalization to Violent Extremism for Europe and Beyond" by Anne Speckhard, Ph.D.*
June 18th Brussels Press Club, Belgium
•18:00-18:30 Registration and Coffee
•18:30-18:40 Welcome remarks and introduction
•20:00-21:00 Networking and Cocktail
* Anne Speckhard, Ph.D., is Director of the International Center for the Study of Violent Extremism (ICSVE) and serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychiatry at Georgetown University School of Medicine. She has interviewed over 600 terrorists, their family members and supporters in various parts of the world including in Western Europe, the Balkans, Central Asia, the Former Soviet Union and the Middle East. In the past two years, she and ICSVE staff have beencollecting interviews (n=78) with ISIS defectors, returnees and prisoners, studying their trajectories into and out of terrorism, their experiences inside ISIS, as well as developing the Breaking the ISIS Brand Counter Narrative Project materials from these interviews. She has also been training key stakeholders in law enforcement, intelligence, educators, and other countering violent extremism professionals on the use of counter-narrative messaging materials produced by ICSVE both locally and internationally as well as studying the use of children as violent actors by groups such as ISIS and consulting on how to rehabilitate them. In 2007, she was responsible for designing the psychological and Islamic challenge aspects of the Detainee Rehabilitation Program in Iraq to be applied to 20,000 + detainees and 800 juveniles. She is a sought after counterterrorism experts and has consulted to NATO, OSCE, foreign governments and to the U.S. Senate & House, Departments of State, Defense, Justice, Homeland Security, Health & Human Services, CIA and FBI and CNN, BBC, NPR, Fox News, MSNBC, CTV, and in Time, The New York Times, The Washington Post, London Times and many other publications. She regularly speaks and publishes on the topics of the psychology of radicalization and terrorism and is the author of several books, including Talking to Terrorists, Bride of ISIS, Undercover Jihadi and ISIS Defectors: Inside Stories of the Terrorist Caliphate. Website www.ICSVE.org
Why should you sponsor?
We accept project-based funding, matching grants and individual or institutional donations in order to sustain our projects and researches. In this respect, we would like to offer you the chance to raise your brand visibility on our forthcoming event with the participation of Anne Speckhard, Ph.D., as a guest speaker, at European Press Club (http://www.pressclub.be/) scheduled on 18thof June, 2018. She will give a speech about Breaking the ISIS Brand Counter Narrative Projectand illustrate the challenges for Europe emanating from the rise of radicalisation and extremism.
Beyond the Horizon International Strategic Studies Group is a non-partisan, independent, and non-profit think tank. The mission of Beyond the Horizon is to promote global peace and security by empowering decision- and policy-makers with knowledge and advocating paths to prevent, mitigate or end crises and conflicts.
Beyond the Horizon is unique in its focus on realistic policies and in-depth analyses to offer comprehensive solutions on topics related to international politics and security, peace and conflict studies.
As an independent voice, Beyond the Horizon aims to translate applied and basic research in its focus areas into a language that is understandable, reliable and accessible for a wide audience.
Based on its expertise areas, Beyond the Horizon also provides training and consultancy services in defense and security. Beyond the Horizon’s vision is to be recognized as a center of excellence for the delivery of vocational, professional and skill development qualifications to learners and clients across the globe.
Beyond the Horizon collaborates globally with selected partners and networks to work on both for-profit and non-profit projects in the field of peace and security.
Areas of Research Activity
– AIR & SPACE POWER
– HYBRID WARFARE
– GEOPOLITICS & INTERNATIONAL SECURITY STUDIES
– MARITIME SECURITY & SEA POWER
– TERRORISM, CONFLICT & PEACE STUDIES
By the end of 2018, in order to close the gap between knowledge and practice, the Group will also:
– Provide strategic insights and policy solutions to help policy-makers, planners and practitioners in defense and security circles via training, advice, and assistance on a for-profit basis,
– Collaborate globally with selected partners and networks to do funded projects spanning the domains of peace and security (both theoretical and applied),
– Organise roundtable meetings, seminars, panels, and conferences to attract leading figures in the domain of geopolitics and international security.
European Union Transparency Register Identification Number: 146054127966-91
Contact the Organizer
Contact the Organizer