My name is Carissa Rusin. I am a Cheer Mom. Here is a recent post I made on Facebook. This is my true heart.
Last year Amaiyah joined competitive cheer at Royalty Athletix . I can honestly tell you, I had so many reservations about cheer... modesty for one. vanity for another. (personal struggles for her) and a whole bunch of other reasons why cheer wouldn't be a good fit for our family... but, cheer spoke to Amaiyah's heart and seemed to fit her personality (like PB and J match)... so, I thought "we'll try it"...Joe agreed, but with a few small reservations... Ballet was too graceful - softball was to dirty - gymnastics was not bling-y enough. #bowsmatter
In the past year, a few very amazing things have happened and I wanted to share them with you... because as I reflect -I'm amazed at how closed minded I was and how the Lord has opened my heart.
1. My girly girl found an appropriate outlet for her desire to wear bling - yes, there is a time and place NOT to wear bling. ;)
2. I found a reason to say "No, you are to only wear such and such to cheer" Which has totally helped curve her natural tendency for vanity and honestly, the desire to be nude-like.
3. She feels like she belongs to something bigger than herself and our family.
4. She is learning how to work in a team, on a team, for a team all by being the best she can be and supporting her new friends.
5. I have seen more Jesus in that gym and with our gym family than I have seen in some of the churches we have attended. Most of them really. #behishandsandfeet
6. She is getting physical activity - learning self-control - learning how to support others and cheer them on - she is learning how to listen to directions--- and so much more.
7. Since she was on an exhibition team, we only went to 4 events - which was so not overwhelming for our family, but we still get to encourage those who went to The Title in Atlanta and Nationals in FL.
8. Her siblings have become her biggest fans. (other than Daddy and Mommy)
Thank you Jesus for humbling my heart so I can see that you really can work in any arena of life. Including competitive cheer.
I'm so excited to see what the 2018-2019 season brings. Stephen is going to join in the fun this year too!
If you are wanting your child to be in an individual skill building team sport (I made that term up)- this.is.awesome.
It isn't just Cheer that has stolen my familes heart, but the life changing skills that all the athletes are learning at Royalty Athletix... that is the difference between our gym and another. That is why reaching out to our community is so important.
Thank you for taking the time to read a little bit about me and my family.
Contact the Organizer
Contact the Organizer